Monday, October 31, 2011

Thread: Drawing III







For this assignment we had to make drawings using thread. I wanted to make something that no one else would do in class. Not that our class comes up with typical things, but sometimes the most obvious solution is the most boring and unstimulating creatively. I decided to use thread not as my medium or surface. I chose to use it as a tool in the process of these works. My concept was art by nature and things that I had no control over.

Side note: These projects aren't in order on my blog and I can't get them in order.

Anyway, throughout the entire time I was working on these assignments for class a reoccurring theme of me manipulating my work, whether that is me using the assigned material in an unconventional way or with me taking a concept and stretching and pushing boundaries and limits on what can be considered "drawings" with the assigned medium.

For this assignment though I pushed the boundaries and made these drawings that I had no control over, I only manipulated, in a way, how the thread was used for the assignment. I didn't wrap anything with thread or connect things with it. My process involved me going over to a friends house where they have smaller palm trees with palms that hang lower to the ground that I can reach. I tied some thread around the palm and let it hang down to the ground. From there I wrapped a sharpie marker to the end hanging on the ground and placed my paper on a clipboard under that. From there the weather made all the choices in mark making. It was a windy evening that made the marks specific to the day it happened. I am very pleased with how they came out and that I was able to do a mini series of them. I would love to be able to set up a large scale version of one and have it sit for an entire day or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment