Saturday, October 15, 2011

Erase: Drawing III

This explanation is my erase project.

I got an idea to do a performance piece for this assignment. I wanted to erase my name from the class list in Drawing III at Flagler College. I set out to the registrars office and saw a young lady that I haven't seen working there before. I asked her if she could help me with an art assignment. She gave me an odd look and questioned what it was she could help with that I needed. I explained to her that the assignment I was working on was for a class and we had to "erase." I explained that I needed her to help me erase my name off of the class list, print me out a copy of the students in the class (minus my name) and then place me back on there because I need the credits. She continued to look puzzled. She told me that she couldn't help me with that because there are students names on the list and I can't have that information. I went on asking her if she knew that I could see the students in my class online on the class list. Her story then changed to I couldn't have the list because student I.D. numbers are on there and I am not allowed to have those. Fair enough. I thanked them for the information and went on my way. The next day I talked to some of the professors and got their backing and support. I went back to the registrars office and found the usual lady sitting there. I asked her if she could then help me with an art project. She looked up from her work and asked what it was that she could do. I explained my plan and she began to say something when a rude lady in a back corner office blurted out "We can't do that, someone came in yesterday trying!" I asked even if I get written consent from every classmate to use their numbers on this piece of paper for a project and she said no and couldn't give me an explanation as to why. I did not thank her, and left.

That is my story, my concept fell through and my experience is the performance as to my erase project. My concept got erased and I no longer am possible to make this happen. Even after numerous attempts to the registrars office. A performance work that was of a personal experience, an interaction.

I like the idea of pushing the limits on what art is. Some of you may not want to classify this as art but to me how can you tell someone what they do isn't art.

Maybe this is a new form of art for myself. "Selfish art" possibly? No one else experienced it and it was something I tried for myself, as far as you know I've made this up. It raises another point of can you even be erased?

And here, a photo of what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment