Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wraping & Diagram: Drawing III

For this assignment I'm sorry but I have no visuals. It may seem selfish but I didn't want it to be something tangible like that. My intent was to make a "visual spectical" I guess is what I'm calling it. I can explain it to you but the individual pieces mean nothing if I were to photograph and upload my video I made.

The first part of this assignment was to "wrap" when I first thought about that I came up with what I'm sure most people did, things like wrapping paper, saran wrap and string. I wanted to try and push past those things to create something more, abstract, or conceptual. I thought to myself about things that couldn't be that tangible and came up with light. I knew that I wanted to wrap something in light but didn't know what. My thoughts kept racing back and forth to different materials and such and finally I realized that I wanted to use the projector in class to help me. To use that to shine light I would need to suspend something. In that challenge I came up with using Styrofoam panels because they were light enough to hang, white, and relatively smooth, or at least flat. That took care of my portion of wrapping for the assignment.

"Diagram" was the second part of the assignment. All I could think about was ven diagrams of things and I couldn't move off of the idea of something somewhat scientific. I got stuck. I looked up diagram in the dictionary and it more or less is the simplification of something. In thinking about it like that I gathered some new ideas. My final solution for a diagram was to take a song and simplify down a visual of changing colors. I used an up pace song, Cuntry Boys and City Girls by The Fratellis. I loaded up the video on the computer in class of the song and the changing colors and wrapped my styrofoam in these colored lights. The only problem I ran into was that I went to the studio and hung up the styrofoam panels to see them cut down in the morning. It took me to long to set up in class so I had two stand-ins hold the panels for the time being.

While they held the panels they interacted with each other which to me made the experience better. I wanted it to be fun! The other part of it was that I didn't want it to be experienced the same if you have to recreate it again. With them holding the panels I think that was achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment