Monday, September 12, 2011

Drawing III: Found Objects

This assignment was a semester long one where we had to collect objects we found. For myself, I didn't want the items to necessarily be trash but things that I just happen to find, trash or not, whether I knew about them and forgot about them until they were refound or just found for the first time. My objects were: a pen, which I found on my walk home one day from school stuck in the ground. A piece of elastic that I found on a different route to my house that caught my eye because of its bright color. A hub cap cover from a car that a few weeks ago I watched go up on a curb and must have lost it then and I came across it a few weeks later. Some tags in my camera bag of my first pair of sandals that I bought from my work that I must have stuck in there and forgot about. A pair of shoes that I found one day going through a closet at work that are two different sizes and thus, unsellable for us. A chap stick that upon getting into bed one night when I returned home that I found in my bed sheets. A business card that I found in my wallet from the teller at the bank, who, when meeting her for the first time commented on my toe shoes. Finally a 4 pack folder that for stuck on my shoes one day while I was walking home one afternoon. These objects to some may be trash and to others they may be treasures, for this assignment they came into being useful for this assignment. If it weren't for this assignment I would have just over looked them or thought nothing of them really if I were to come across them. The assignment has had me take granted in finding object and not just over looking them but making myself think more about how they got there or where they were going. This in turn inspired my response drawing for each of these objects. Because I would most likely overlook the objects as something that was insignificant that I potentially would be "blind" to them. For my response drawings I have done "blind" contour drawings of each of them to link the process in going about finding them in relationship to what I might usually do upon coming across them. From there I went in and added color. I tried my best to make "blind" watercolors of them on top of the drawings but watercolor and paint as a medium require you to refill your brush with paint unlike a pen, aside from that there is a dry time so sometime colors begin to bleed together. In some respects it lends itself more to the process in finding the object I think.


















No comments:

Post a Comment